About the Book
My Truth Be Told will contain personal stories from people who live and work in Sauk County today. A reflection of the people who make up our community, these stories will bind past and present in a mosaic of individual experiences. All members of the community are welcome to write and submit a story in the Palm of the Hand memoir style, a method that focuses on individual memories.
Submitted stories will be gathered together by library staff and then printed and hand-bound by Michael Czarnecki of FootHills Publishing. Michael is the developer of the Palm of the Hand memoir style, and a frequent visitor and speaker at both the Baraboo Public and UW-Baraboo/Sauk County Libraries.
The finished version of Sauk County’s Palm of the Hand Memoirs will be available in late November 2015. They will have a small cost ($10) associated with them to cover the expense of printing and binding.
Guidelines for Submission
- Memoirs must be submitted by July 31, 2015 to be considered for publication in the Sauk County’s Palm of Memoirs
- Memoirs must be:
- 625 words or less
- the author’s own work
- the author’s personal narrative, in the Palm of the Hand style (see https://spiritblogs.uwc.edu/memoirs/)
- Submissions will be edited only for obvious grammatical errors.
- Authors should currently live or work in Sauk County
- Please note: the story relayed in the memoir does NOT need to have occurred in Sauk County. For example, it may have occurred on vacation or a trip out of the county, or in the author’s life prior to moving to or working in Sauk County.
- UW-Baraboo/Sauk County and Baraboo Public Library staff retain the right to select which memoirs will be included in the final publication.
How to Submit
Authors should submit 2 memoirs whenever possible. To be considered for publication, each submission must be accompanied by the following information:
- Full name of the author
- Author’s contact information, including address, phone number, and email (if available).
- How the author would prefer to be listed in the published book (e.g. Sue Smith, Suzie, Ms. Smith, Anonymous, etc.)
- A title for the memoir
- (Optional) A brief, one- or two-sentence biography of the author (i.e. Marc is the Library Director at UW-Baraboo/Sauk County and moved to Baraboo in 2010). This sentence will not count against the 625 word limit.
- Electronically: email an electronic version of the memoir to email@example.com in a text-editable format, such as a Microsoft Word document, Google Document, OpenText document, WordPerfect document, or in the body of the email.
- In Person: bring or mail a paper copy of the memoir to the UW-Baraboo/Sauk County Library (1006 Connie Rd., Baraboo, WI 53913) or the Baraboo Public Library (230 4th Ave, Baraboo, WI 53913). This copy will not be returned to you.
All rights are retained by the authors, although by submitting a memoir to the Sauk County’s Palm of the Hand Memoirs project, authors agree to allow UW-Baraboo/Sauk County Library and Baraboo Public Library to publish their memoir in this edition of Sauk County’s Palm of the Hand Memoirs.
- The publication committee will review the memoirs for grammatical edits.
- Authors will be contacted with any questions about the content or clarity of the memoir.
- There will be a Community Novel reading of submitted memoirs at UW-Baraboo/Sauk County’s Summerset Festival on August 22nd. All authors are invited to participate. More information will be posted to the UW-Baraboo/Sauk County website as the event draws nearer.
- The expected publication date of Sauk County’s Palm of the Hand Memoirs is late November 2015. All authors will be contacted when the books arrive.
Please consult the Palm of the Hand blog, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 608-355-5251 for more information.