You may have noticed that the old “Library Catalog” link on the library’s home page was disabled over winter break. The libraries are preparing for a transition to a new behind-the-scenes library system, so the previous library catalog has been officially retired.
One difference between Search@UW and the previous catalog is how to locate books and movies located here in the library at Baraboo. Here’s how:
- From the library home page, click on the Search@UW link
- Use the drop-down box to change “Everything” to “UW Colleges Books & Media”. This will limit your search to items owned by at least one of the 13 UW Colleges. Additional copies may be owned by one or more of the 4-year campuses.
- Type your search terms in the search box – in this case, “artificial intelligence” – and click the “Search” button.
- The next page will show your results with your search terms highlighted.
- From your results page, you can narrow the location to just UW-Baraboo/Sauk County using the side bar on the left. Scroll down until you see the section of limiters labelled “Campus”. Click on “Baraboo/Sauk County (BRB)” to limit your results to physical items (books, movies, CDs) that are owned by UW-BSC.
- If you’d like to include more than one location, click on “More options” and check the “Include” box next to the locations you want. This is especially helpful for including e-resources (like ebooks) that are available electronically to all UW Colleges students. To include those items, choose Baraboo and Colleges Online (COLS).
- You can also apply other limiters – like selecting a related topic, limiting to books, or narrowing the date range of the listed materials. For example, to limit to just books (both physical and electronic), click “Books” in the “Resource Type” section.
- Once you’ve found a title that looks interesting, click on the word “Locations” to see where that item is available. If the title is physically at the Baraboo library, the Locations tab will look like the one below. You can use the call number (here, Q335 .K88 1999) like an address to find the title in the UW-BSC library collection.
- If the title is an ebook, the Locations tab will look something like the example below. Once you’ve verified it’s an ebook you have access to on the Locations tab (it will say “Colleges users only”), click the “View Online” link to get to the ebook. In the example below, UW-Sheboygan has a physical copy of this book, and all UW Colleges students have access to the ebook version.
- If the title is checked out, the Locations tab will look like the one below, with “Out of library” listed instead of “Available”. You can request a copy from another campus, and it will arrive typically 2-3 days later.
If you have any questions, or would like help determining where a specific title is found, don’t hesitate to contact the library staff. There’s even a little button on the bottom right of every screen.